Sunday, July 11, 2004

Yankee Stadium

We went to see the Yankees play the Devil Rays today. I learned from my previous experience to take an express train this time. The express train didn't make up for the hour late we slept in, so we got to the game late, and the only seats left were the $10 bleacher seats. Now, I don't have a problem with cheapie bleacher seats, but Yankee Stadium is huge - the view from the bleachers is pretty bad to begin with, plus with people standing in the aisles to get a better view it's almost impossible to see anything. The bleachers are also out in the open, so we were both sunburned pretty quickly. This must be the advantage of buying the $20 nosebleed seats - the view is just as bad, but at least there's shade. Squinting at the seating chart suggests that you have to spend upwards of $50 to get a good view of the game. Yankee Stadium (err... Con Edison Stadium) is also one of those parks where everything is really expensive and there's lots of stupid rules, like you can't bring in backpacks. Hint to stadium owners: If I wanted to blow up your stupid ballpark, I would hollow out my six-inch clogs, fill them with plastic explosives, put the trigger in my pocket, and walk right in (because no guy security guard is ever going to search a girl, much less question what's in the shoes), leave the bomb in the restroom, and detonate it from a few blocks away. Really, it's not rocket science. The only real impact of the no-backpack rule is that I can't bring in sunscreen and a newspaper, so now I'm sunburned. Other ballparks settle for searching your pack on the way in, which works out fine for me - I'm not trying to smuggle food in or anything.

At least the Yankees won. It was an exciting game, although I probably would have gotten a better view from a wireless unit and ESPN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home