Sunday, June 27, 2004

Straight to TV

Hello, this is Andrew on Lexi's account (blogger's slow to email me my access to this blog). For a first day in New York, today was not bad at all. After a nice brunch as Nisos (176 8th Ave.), which serves up a lot of new age diner cuisine (club sandwiches with brie and the like), we did some shopping for a pair of rollerblades for me. My first attempt to skate was cut short as we could not get to the park because of the gay pride parade. Undaunted, we decided to get some tickets to Fahrenheit 9/11 and then find a new park to practice. It just happened that Michael Moore was giving an interview at the theater right then. I couldn't get a great picture of him, but I did get interviewed by NY1 and was shown on the nightly news giving an excellent elocution of a rather bland sound bite. Though we arrived at the theater a little after 3pm, we couldn't get tickets for anything earlier than the 8:15 showing, which isn't surprising now that we found out it made box office records as the first documentary to outgross its competitors on opening weekend.

With the 4 hours we had before our showing, Lexi did her best to help me get the hang of rollerblading. I fell twice. Managed not to run into anyone. And somehow got a bruise on the arm that I didn't land on? It's like the right and left sides of my body have that same thing the Crimson Twins from GI-Joe had going on. Apparently I can hit a pole at full speed with my right arm and get a nice purple bruise on my left. It's quite disconcerting

After two hours of practice, we stopped for dinner at Cosi (841 Broadway), which specializes in artisan bread sandwiches. It was a restaurant that most closely resembled my dream restaurant. Those who have had the dubious pleasure of dining with me have probably noticed my propensity for eating the crust off enough bread that I can't eat the actual meal I've ordered. This place serves a bread that's mostly golden, crispy and slightly seasoned crust along with something else so that you have something to put on it. For all you other epicrusteans out there, it's a do-not-miss dining experience. It's cheap and casual so it would make a great lunch spot.

Everyone should see the film, regardless of how liberal/conservative you are. Michael Moore may be a liberal propagandist, but he is a damn good one. Out of all the film tries to accomplish, I think it is most effective at personalizing the war against Iraq. No matter how many paper trails you dig up that prove Bush is a greedy, lying puppet of industry, nothing will convince people of the barbarity of his acts like footage of an iraqi child crying as they stitch his scalp back on or a burnt American corpse being beaten and then hung up by an angry mob. Now we're home. I'm slightly sunburnt and absolutely exhausted from 2 hours of rollerblading practice. Lexi's slightly tired from waiting for me to catch up to her every half block and not at all sunburnt. And we're both trying to get to bed early so we can start work/school tomorrow. Which is still hard for me as Cali time has yet to loosen its grip on my biorhythms.

Good Night,

Andrew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home