Sunday, June 27, 2004

Marijuana-logues

My husband Andrew has joined me in New York, now that he's done teaching for the year. He'll be posting too. Everybody say hi to Andrew. :)

We went to Greenwich Village to try a sushi restaurant recommended by some friends. Sushi Samba (87 7th Ave South, near Barrow) is sort of what you'd expect, for a sushi restaurant that has a website that plays music. The cuisine is Japanese/Brasilian fusion, which means that you can get mango on your sushi or tuna in your ceviche. (Mango-eel-avacado sushi turns out to be pretty good.) So there's a lot of variety on the menu, the atmosphere is good, and the food is tasty - but it's definitely more expensive than regular sushi.

This restaurant did give me my first-ever experience of looking at a wine list and recognizing something I had previously tried at the brewery where it is made. Hakusan Plum Sake is a sweet, mellow sort of fruity sake. The Hakusan Sake Garden, where it is made, is in Napa and happens to open for sake tasting at 9 a.m. - an hour before any other wineries in the area open for tasting, which is why I have tried it. It comes in the big bottles (750ml), not the little bottles, so our valiant attempts to finish the bottle tonight were thwarted by a lack of coordination needed to pour the last of the bottle into the sake glasses.

Across the street from Sushi Samba is the Actor's Playhouse, whose current feature is The Marijuana-logues. We'd seen them do a segment on Real Time with Bill Maher, and figured it would be pretty funny. It's a great live show - they improvise some, and there are some really good bits. My favorite went something like this: "People say the body is a temple. Well, I'm not religious - so if my body is a temple, it's empty, and I rent it out to demons to have wild parties."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home