Sunday, June 20, 2004

First Post

I started this blog because I wanted somewhere to write down the locations of interesting things, and I keep losing my pile of receipts that formerly held this information. I'm a native Californian, but I'm working and living in Manhattan this summer. It's my first visit to New York ever (notwithstanding a brief tourist jaunt with my parents when I was ten, which does not count), so everything is new.

I figured living in New York would be different from living near San Francisco. I prepared by watching lots of Law and Order (the good ones, not the new ones). I knew that nobody drives a car because there's too much traffic. I knew that life in an urban apartment would be louder, and stuff would be happening all the time. I left my car in San Francisco and acquired a pair of inline skates.

But it's not the big differences (functioning public transit, readily available non-fast-food at 3 a.m., humidity) that I noticed first - it's the little ones. Like, the New York Times has different sections if you get the late New York edition instead of the California edition. There's a Metro section with weather and TV schedules and ads for local businesses (like the one where a bunch of good restaurants offer cheapie prix fixe lunches for a few weeks). There's no half-assed attempt to include items of interest to Northern Californians. The Saturday paper has an enormous Arts and Leisure section with event listings. (The Saturday California edition is tiny by comparison.)

Oh, wait, I said I was going to write down the location of something interesting. OK. Today I went to the American Museum of Natural History in the morning/afternoon (Central Park West at 79th, has its own subway station at 81st on the A-C-E line). There were frogs. Lots of frogs. And these huge dioramas of animals in their native habitats. I've never seen whole stuffed animals before - it was really neat. Did you know there's more than one kind of antelope? To the extent that I had ever thought about it (not much), I'd figured antelopes were all basically the same. But there are dozens of different species of antelopes just in Africa. They all appear antelope-like, but they have different numbers of horns or stripes or polka dots (wait, no, those were deer).

After a stop at Macy's (6th ave at W34th, Herald Square) to pick up an outfit that did not involve blue jeans, I went to see Stomp at the Orpheum (126 2nd Ave, near 8th - I left the subway at 14th and 3rd on the L line because I wanted to walk; there is a closer station). In an odd coincidence, there is also an Orpheum theater in San Francisco - I saw the Lion King there on June 3. Anyway, the Orpheum here is a pretty small theater but the acoustics seemed good. Stomp is all about celebrating the sheer fun of making noise with things that are not supposed to be noisy. (Come on, I'm not the only one who saw this and remembered my eight-year-old self pulling all the pots and pans out of the cupboard and banging on them with chopsticks, right?) The show was tons of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home