Sunday, July 04, 2004

July 4

It's July 4, and we've worked through several bottles of alcoholic substances. (The "Three Philosophers" Belgian beer was excellent - I think we found it at the grocery store on 8th near 23rd.) I am drunk enough that iambic tetrameter seems like a fine transport mechanism for tonight's entry.


I stood on the apartment roof
And watched the world implode in light
Some drunken Irish serenade
As I absorb the sounds of night

Some helicopters fly above
I wonder if they see us there
Or, if we are just ants to them
Up in the sky without a care

The sound rips through the ashen sky
It fills me with a sense of pride
As fireworks of red white and blue
Illuminate the riverside

It reminds me that I'm lucky
To celebrate with friends and beer
So even if we're still at war
At least the bombs aren't falling here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home