Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Upright Citizens Brigade

Tonight we went to the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater (24th st at 8th ave) to see some improv comedy. They do different shows every night - some nights the improv students do shows, some nights are open mic, and other night are more.. professional? The show was random and pretty funny. For $5, it's one of the best entertainment bargains out there. (I'd recommend this over the Ha Comedy Club, which we visited on Sunday - some of the sets of standup were okay, but the evening was marred slightly by the host mistaking me for a man, and saying that with my fashion sense I was likely to be kidnapped by five gay guys in a van.)

On the way there, we stopped at Tono Sushi (174 7th ave). This was reasonably good, cheap, and fast, and I'd definitely go back. We've been on a random walk of sushi restaurants in the neighborhood, and I still haven't found any place like my favorite 'good' sushi bar back in California (where you're allowed to sit at the sushi bar as long as you want, and the sushi guy hooks us up with free stuff when he's bored) or my favorite 'cheap' sushi bar in California (where all the rolls are $1 during happy hour, 5-7 on Tuesdays). Most of the sushi around here seems fine - it's not cheap (but nothing in Manhattan is, so that's expected), but the quality is generally good, there's usually reasonable variety, and they're always open late. Monster Sushi (158 W 23rd) has some interesting (and huge) rolls and a variety of sakes. I'm sure I went to Hana Sushi (211 7th ave, near 22nd), but I don't remember anything about it. The one on the corner of 7th and 20th (Meritake?) had good food but not so good service. We went to Sushi Sen-nin (49 E34th, near Madison Ave) once - it's a more high-end experience, both much more expensive and much better food than anywhere else. (The Crazy Dragon roll is astonishing - we'll upload pictures.) The advantage the Manhattan sushi restaurants have is that you can get sushi at nearly any hour of the night, even delivered.

For comparison, on my way to New York last month, I stopped for a night in Salt Lake City, Utah. There are, in fact, at least four sushi restaurants in the greater Salt Lake area. (In a turn of events I would not have predicted, there are now more bars than sushi restaurants there.) I walked all the way across town to find one (don't even ask about the public transit...) to discover that they're only sort of open sometimes, but never for lunch and not at all on the day I happened to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home