Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Maria and Sarah's wedding

Sorry for the delay, it's been busy lately.

I finished editing my final film which, considering that it is only some b-roll and narrative, is still independent local cable station ready.

Then we went to Maria and Sarah's wedding. It was a great time. Our hotel room was so comfortable or I was just extra tired from quitting caffeine. I found that I was getting back to college levels of diet coke abuse trying to keep up with having fun and school. After a night of insomnia, I decided to cut out caffeine. It was so much fun hanging out with everyone at the wedding that it took care of my caffeine withdrawal headache.

The ceremony was very sweet. Sarah's parents are the pastors of their Baptist church so they ran the ceremony. There was a point as Sarah's father was telling them to repeat their vows, where he got all choked up and had to pause for a moment. Oberlin was the most liberal small town I've ever been to. It was like a smaller, quainter, less consumer, more humid version of the bay area. There are hippies, but they all seem to have a higher time v. money ratio for their utility function than the consumer hippies of San Francisco and Berkeley.

The bachelor party was fun. The only thing was that both Sarah and Maria were there, so I felt like I had to hold back on what I said about Maria. I think it's more fun when each persons friend's can take them somewhere, without their significant other, and really rip into them. It was even harder to tell any stories after Sarah's grade school friends shared grade school stories about her. I couldn't jump from a G-Rated story about Sarah to an R-Rated story about Maria. Finally Sarah''s friend Kramer raised the stakes with a college sex story, opening up the door for at least one of my stories about Maria.

There was some real heavy rain throughout the weekend, but it cleared up just for their ceremony and most of their reception. The reception food was delicious. There was this funky feta-cheese and watermelon salad. Which I thought was OK, but that a lot of other people seemed to really like. I respected the bold culinary clash of fruit and sharp cheese, but I didn't think that the combination elevated the combined ingredients to any higher plane. We snuck out of the reception to mess up Sarah's car before the couple left, but it took Shannon, Catherine and I too long to get back and Sarah's friends had already painted up her car, filled it with balloons and took it to the next level by giving it a flat tire on the way from the church to the reception. Right as the flat was discovered, the heavens opened up for a real deluge. Kramer and others took lead on changing the tire. All the while, the pink writing on the black car was running, making the whole car look like a pile of melting raspberry and strawberry sorbet. Then after the car was jacked up and the bolts were off, the tire refused to budge. It seemed rusted on. Maria's friend from gradeschool in Texas came and finally budged the tire off. In between trying to help remove the tire, I managed to catch a few pictures of the whole affair.

After the ceremony, the Caltech crew came back to our hotel in Cleveland. Shannon, his girlfriend Maria, Kim, Catherine, Rob and his girlfriend Margie were all there. It's really eerie to see one of those life-alarms going off all around you. Makes me more concerned about the warnings all my 30 year old friends are giving me about the whole child rearing phase.

At the end of the weekend we all talked about the possibility of getting together to do some wine tasting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home