Thursday, August 05, 2004

Biking Northern Manhattan

The weather looked a little foreboding early today, but it quickly cleared into a very beautiful day. There's a great bike and rollerblade lane along the Hudson river. The parks were well kept all the way along the west side of Manhattan. The ride along that stretch was perhaps the most peaceful moment that I've had in New York.

It was a little less peaceful for the second half of the trip as I lost the bike path for a while and had to bike in New York traffic. I cut east across 165th St. and went down 1st Ave. for a while until I found the bike path again.

Halfway back down the island, I came across a bridge to Ward Island. It seems to be an island dedicated solely to providing teenagers with a place to go and drink or smoke. There were two guys drinking cheap beer near the dump on Ward Island. And I swear I passed their friends on my way back over the bridge on the phone asking where they were and if they had the stuff.

Pictures from my ride are up at:

http://www.seq.org/~acasteel/newyorkbikenorthmanhattan/index.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home